How to Obtain Birth Certificate in Delhi
Every Birth is to be reported and registered within 21 days at the place of its occurrence in the prescribed reporting forms. The persons required to register Birth are:
- When the Birth has taken place in a house: Head of the house or nearest relative of the head of the House or oldest person in the family
- When the Birth has taken place outside the house:
i. In a Hospital/Health Centre, Maternity Home or other like institutions: Medical Officer Incharge or any officer authorised by him
ii. In a Jail: Jail Incharge
iii. In a Hospital, Dharmshala, Boarding House: Person Incharge
iv. In a Moving Vehicle: Person Incharge of the Vehicle
v. Found deserted in a public place: Headman of the Village/Incharge of the local police station
Birth Certificates in Delhi are issued by the Local Bodies namely MCD, NDMC, Delhi Cantonment Board, within 7 days from the date of receipt of application from the applicant, provided the birth has already been registered. The certificates are issued from the registration centres/Zonal Offices of the local bodies.
There are different centres of each local body in Delhi for such registration. The details as per jurisdiction of the local body are as below:
MCD (188 Centres – Urban: 137 and Rural : 51)
Deputy Health Officer of each Municipal Zone is designated as Registrar of Births & Deaths. The vaccinator of the vaccination centre or paramedical staff of Health Centres/Sub Centres have been designated as Sub-Registrars and also at Citizen Service Bureau.
- Domiciliary Cases
i. Registration of Births occurring at home in an urban area is being done at the vaccination centre located in the area.
ii. Registration of Birth occurring at home in a rural area is being done by vaccinators or paramedical staff. Registration Centres are located in Primary Health Centres, Dispensaries and Mother & Child Welfare Sub Centres in rural areas.
- Other Cases
Registration of Birth occurring in a hospital, nursing home and for other cases is being done at the offices of the MCD in the zones where these institutions are located.
N.D.M.C. ( 9 Centres ):
|Sub Inoculation Center, Mandir Marg
|9.00 AM to 5.30 PM for cases which are current and not more than four years old. Certificate will be issued within 24 hours (for current birth & death registration). For older records, the time will be 96 hrs.
- B & D reg. centre, Aurangzeb Lane
- Polyclinic, NDMC S.B. Marg
- Babar Road Maternity Center
- Palika Maternity Hospital
- 42 – south Market (Kidwai Nagar)
- MCW – Sarojini Nagar
- Charak Palika Hospital, Moti Bagh
- A-5 Pandara Road
|9.30 PM to 12.30 PM. Certificate will be issued within 96 hours after receiving records from hospitals.
Registration of Birth where institutional or domiciliary is being done at the Vaccination Centre located in the NDMC area. The vaccinator of each vaccination centre has been designated as Sub Registrar. Medical Officer Incharge of the International Inoculation Centre, Mandir Marg has been designated as Registrar of Births/Deaths for the entire area of NDMC.
- Delhi Cantt. ( 1 Centre ): Registration of Birth (institutional/domiciliary) is being done at the Registration Centre located in the Cantt. General Hospital.
- Case of Moving Vehicle: Registration of Birth occurring in a moving vehicle will be done at the registration centre of the area of first place of halt of the vehicle.
- Application on a plain paper
- Proof of Birth of the person in respect of whom the certificate is required
- Affidavit specifying place, date and time of birth/death of the person. For proforma of affidavit for
- Copy of Ration Card
- School leaving certificate, if any, showing date of birth (in the case of birth certificate only)
- All documents to be attested by a Gazetted Officer
Criteria Used for deciding the case
After receiving the completed application, a draft order is made and sent to the concerned police station for verification. (However, no such verification is required where a birth certificate is requested to be issued on the basis of a school leaving certificate showing the date of birth.)
After receiving the positive verification report from the police station, an order is issued to the MCD for birth registration.
Fee for obtaining the copies of certificate
Rs.15/- per copy plus service charges of Rs.5/-
Rule for registering after due date
There is a prescribed rule and fee structure for late registration and submission of required documents, and permission from a competent authority has to be obtained.
Documents to produce for late registration
- A birth can be registered after 21 days but before 30 days of occurrence on payment of late fee.
- A birth can be registered after 30 days but before 1 year of occurrence after obtaining written permission from the Registrar and on payment of late fee.
- A birth can be registered after 1 year of occurrence after obtaining an order from the Area Magistrate (i.e. SDM of the first class or a Presidency Magistrate) and on payment of late fee.
- Registration within a period of 21 days of occurrence – No fees
- Registration after 21 days but before 30 days of occurrence – Rs.5/-
- Registration after 30 days but before 1 year of occurrence – Rs.10/-
- Registration after 1 year of occurrence – Rs.20/-
- Service charge of Rs.5/-
- Within 1 year of the birth the name can be added at any Citizen Service Bureau or through the internet. An application form has to be submitted.
- After 1 year but within 15 years, the same can be added at any Citizen Service Bureau, on payment of late fee and submission of an application form.
Fee structure for registration
Addition of the name of the child in Birth record
The registration of birth will be made on the day the physical form of reporting the birth is submitted.
Changes in the Certificate
Changes in the certificate can be undertaken at any of the CSBs on a written request along with an affidavit and undertaking from the informant.
Normally you should be getting a response within 21 days.
For more information, visit http://mcdonline.gov.in and http://ndmc.gov.in
Source : Governments websites